BRIEF HISTORY OF XI RHO CHAPTER
Eight Omega Men assembled in Forrest City, Arkansas in the fall of 1963 to form a chapter. Originally, those eight founding Brothers chose to meet in Forrest City because of its central location in the northeastern Arkansas area. After being founded in 1963, Xi Rho Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was chartered on April 1, 1964. For most of the nearly 35 years spent in Forrest City, Xi Rho Chapter met in the OEO Building before relocating to West Memphis, Arkansas. From its inception, Xi Rho Chapter has continued to primarily serve the northeastern Arkansas area. However, due to the reality of life with the existence of other nearby bordering states, the active membership of Xi Rho Chapter now includes Brothers from throughout the Greater Memphis Metropolitan area that also covers western Tennessee and northern Mississippi.
The Eight Founding Charter Members of Xi Rho Chapter:
- M.O. Livingston* The first Basileus
- Samuel Whiting* The first Keeper of Records and Seal served continuously in that office for 35 years.
- C.T. Cobb* The first Keeper of Finance
- J.C. Babbs*
- U.S. Bonds*
- J.W. Cooper*
- Harold Vault*
- John White*
*All eight of Xi Rho Chapter Founders have passed into the great beyond of Omega Chapter.
Xi Rho Chapter strives to live up to the four Cardinal Principles set-up by our Founders. Some of the Activities of Xi Rho Chapter:
- Annual Achievement Week – we recognize and highlight the community service accomplishments of members of the community who have made a noteworthy contribution toward improving the quality of life.
- Annual Scholarships awarded to three students entering college.
- Annual Black & White Scholarship Ball
- Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament
- Annual Talent Hunt Competition – the winner of our local competition represents Xi Rho Chapter on the District level with a chance to compete nationally for scholarship awards.
- Annual Thanksgiving Baskets Drive
- Annual Toys for Tots and Clothes for Youth Drives
- Stop the Violence
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Brother-2-Brother Mentoring Program at Mid-South Community College
- Omega Little Brothers Program
- Mentoring and Counseling Program of African-American young men
- Boys and Girls Club participation and support
- Omega Diamonds (a satellite mentoring program that the Chapter previously operated in the Helena and Forrest City areas). We now have three members of our Chapter who are products of this program.
- Annual Charles Drew Blood Drive
- Community Health Screenings and Health Education
- Voter Registration Drives and Education
- Xi Rho Chapter maintains close association with our undergraduate Chapter, Alpha Zeta, at Arkansas State University. We provide guidance to our young Brothers
- Xi Rho Chapter regularly sends delegates to State, District, and National Meetings of the Fraternity.